Wednesday, January 17, 2007

REALITY BITES

recently, on a cold drizzly st. louis afternoon, a casting call was held for a new reality show called "Fortune"... the premise is for unfortunate people to plead their cases to become fortunate... the "fortunate" one will be determined by a panel of multi-millionaires who will throw their money (and reap in return tremendous tax benefits) at the unfortunate case, turning it into something fortunate...

i thought about giving my "unfortunate" story of working two jobs to make ends meet and not sit around waiting for the numbers on my lottery ticket to point me to financial gains... my story is unfortunate because i believe i should take care of myself and not wait for someone else to do so - this runs counter to the seemingly prevalent get rich mentality and forces me to work long hard days...(seems like everyone wants to be a star - even if it means being humiliated)... my appeal would be for venture capital to expand my business....but as i read about some of the stories that were pitched at other casting calls, there was no way i could compete...

one man wanted butt botox... now tell me why would a man want that?...and how comfortable would he be while sitting?...what if it pops/leaks/ruptures or hardens?.... one woman wanted 1 million dollars in seed money to launch a scented panty business... my first thought went to what scents would she be trying to sell.. to make a pair of underwear scented, all you have to do is wear them... some might be repulsed by the resulting scent - but it is scented none the less...

another woman wanted to pitch her idea of promoting better school restroom hygiene... why school restrooms?... i wish i could learn more about that one...

in order to compete, i thought about pitching the idea of a cruise control button for my TV remote... but try pitching that to television promoters... i doubt they would support an idea that makes switching channels easy...

i am not giving up on that idea - it is time to go more high tech than a "scan button"...

but until that happens...reality will continue to bite my unscented underwear wearing, botox free behind and force to me go work my tail off.... (hey, if i am working my butt off then butt implants may not be such a bad idea after all)...

1 comment:

SimplEnigma said...

I'm a "reality" show addict. However my favorite cousin is a reality show producer, so I have a little insight into what goes on behind the scenes.

Since casting is what makes a reality show, they'll pretty much go for the most outlandish, ridiculous things in order to sensationalize the show. Case in point having Wee Man (a little person) be on a reality show about celebrities becoming cops. In real life a little person wouldn't be a cop, but on reality TV he can go through all the training and become one. This is why Flavor of Love is so successful.

Anyone signing up for these shows must be prepared to be ridiculed and made into a stereotypical TV character...Dunno if I could do that for money.