Saturday, July 16, 2011

GOOD NIGHT


It is after 11 p.m. where I am, yet I am sitting outside on my deck. I am enjoying the chorus of night creatures (crickets and whomever else is around), the air conditioner kicking in and out and an occasional "bump" as some flying "somebody" hits the light bulb under which I am seated.

As I am sitting here, I tried (to no avail) staring beyond the light and into the darkness - both the darkness that covers my backyard and the darkness shielding the sky. There were no stars around when I first sat down. I asked the clouds for company and a few minutes later they gave me the moon and one star.

The moon looks full and rich. It popped up over my neighbors roof and is now hiding behind a tree branch. The star is tiny and twinkling, but holding steadily to its position.

I am amazed at how the moon just hangs there at times, and then starts walking across the sky. Who commands it? Who hangs it? Same questions for the stars. I know who does, and I say a big thank you.

I think I will sit here for a while and soak it all in. I placed an "x" in the sky. When the moon kisses this "x", I will say goodnight.

When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers-
The moon and the stars you have set in place-
what are mortals that you should think of us?


(Psalms 8:3-4)

No comments: