Sunday, February 14, 2010

"BUZZ" OFF - PLEASE


I am not a social butterfly, thus I shy away from social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc etc). I am active on only one message board and I tend to do a lot more reading that posting. I keep a small circle of associates and a smaller circle of friends. Even among my circle of friends, I tend not to open up. I will tell you how my day is going or what I have been up to if we are just shooting the breeze, but to call you and start lamenting is not my style. My tendency is to be quiet about things and not make a fuss. My point is, I share very few details of my life even with close friends, and I appreciate them for respecting my position, and allowing me to be who I am.

However, Google takes an opposing view. Apparently, Google thinks I am okay with my info being shared and accessible by those I don't even know, or care to know. I have heard the buzz about Google's Buzz and decided to be nosey about all the buzz. What did I find out? - that Google decided my email contacts should be made public to other people who use Gmail and/or Buzz. They also decided that I should be able to see my contacts' other contacts - if they are being followed on Buzz...

I share my email info with those who I want contacting me, and I don't consider my information (whatever little or much Google has) to be public record. I believe I should have the option to 'opt-in' if I so desire, as opposed to be thrown into the pit, and have to 'opt-out'. Of course you know that opting-out is not as easy as unchecking a few boxes.

So my dear 'unfriend' Google, please Buzz off. Thank you. I determine my friends, not you (at least that's what I tell myself).

3 comments:

Kara - Jamaican Woman said...

haha...we spoke about this already....i am not a stickler for privacy, i consider that my life is an open book, and i have nothing to hide...however google seems to have taken the decision away from me...i feel violated....lol

J.D said...

i would travel up (or down depending on how you look at it) tree to the main concern - control...i would prefer to be in the driver's seat, not have google driving and me yelling "stop - let me out"...

Unknown said...

Buzz off indeed. I share your view entirely